Here is simple checklist for password rules management. This guidance will help you to find the effective password rules for your company or personal activity. Remember that people hate to many rules and complexity. So just design the best rules for them
If you are an IT Executive level (CIO, IT Manager and so on) here is simple checklist that you should stick to when developing a security program budgeting. Of course since it is a guidance then you can modified it to meed your business need
1. Start with a project plan.
2. Get business units to contribute and buy in.
3. Refer to previous years' budgets and spending records.
4. Include funds for:
- Staff compensation, including bonuses, raises, and rewards
- Outsourced services
- Software and hardware maintenance
- Unexpected events
1 Set up your environment.
If you have not already set up the environment required to run the examples in this book, please refer to chapter 2 to do so. ant deploy should install all the examples.
2 Customize your JAAS configuration file.
Go to the conf folder in the samples you downloaded previously when setting up the environment described in chapter 2. You will find two files: example3-passwd.txt and example3-jaas.conf. Open the latter and look for the following lines.
Change the filePath attribute in this entry to point the path to
example3-passwd.txt on your box.
3 Configure Tomcat’s JVM to pick up your JAAS configuration file.
To make the location of the conf file available to Tomcat JVM, set the JAVA_OPTS environment variable to -Djava.security.auth. login.config=path-to-example3-jaas.conf-file.
4 Restart Tomcat server.
A strong password should appear to be a random string of characters to an attacker. It should be 14 characters or longer, (eight characters or longer at a minimum). It should include a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
For tips on how to create passwords and pass phrases that are easy for you to remember but difficult for others to guess. a strong password checklist, and more, read Strong passwords: How to create and use them.
Windows Key resets Windows login passwords in a matter of minutes – no need to reinstall the system.
Windows Key creates a password reset CD, USB Flash Drive or a driver floppy that work during the boot process and instantly reset Administrator or other account passwords and Windows security settings that prevent you from logging in.
- 100% recovery rate
- All passwords are reset instantly
- Windows Vista, Vista SP1 supported
- All Windows Workstations supported
- All Windows Servers supported (Windows Key Professional and Enterprise versions only)
- Resets passwords with a bootable CD-ROM
- Resets passwords with a bootable USB drive or driver floppy (Windows Key Professional and Enterprise versions only)
- Burns password reset CD