Facility and site selection is difficult task to do. There are a lot of criteria that to be avoided or to be prioritize. Selecting the best location from the physical security perspective is a complex task. Before doing this selection process, it's better if you review or go through the checklist and list of criteria of the best facility and location selection.
For each criteria you can create a simple scoring system and based on the calculation you can choose the best facility and site that suit you. Below list of physical security guideline.
- Avoid the iconic, trophy, historic, listed, or high-profile sites and/or locations near such sites
- Avoid the uncontrolled public facilities for vehicles (e.g., tunnels, parking areas, etc.) directly beneath or adjacent to the site
- Seek maximum setback from the street on all facades
- Seek maximum physical separation from neighboring buildings
- Seek convenient external assembly points
- Seek close proximity to emergency services
- Seek easy access to major roads or arteries
- Seek sole building occupancy or sole floor occupancy at a minimum